Anti-Wall Street protesters to erect tents in Minneapolis

Anti-Wall Street protesters to erect tents in Minneapolis Click to Enlarge Photo:

Nov 25, 2011 at 9:47 am

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Anti-Wall Street protesters in Minneapolis plan to erect 99 tents next week in defiance of Hennepin County rules and a federal judge's decision.

The Occupy Minneapolis Events Committee released a statement Thursday saying the protesters have the right to assembly and the right to shelter.

A Minneapolis Star Tribune report says the demonstrators will set up "99 tents for the 99 percent.'' That's a reference to slogans suggesting that 1 percent of the nation's population controls the wealth and the other 99 percent suffers the consequences.

A judge ruled Wednesday that the protesters can't put up tents in the plaza or sleep there.

In response to the protesters' statement, Hennepin County sheriff Rich Stanek says the federal judge has ruled and deputies will abide by the decision.

Leave a Comment

Current Weather

For Central Minnesota

Temp: 46°F (8°C)

Dewpoint: 43

Wind: 7 SW

Weather: Clear

Full Forecast | Live Radar

Featured Videos