Science lab flash fire ignites student's face

Science lab flash fire ignites student's face Click to Enlarge Photo:

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:09 am

MAPLE GROVE, Minn. (AP) - A 15-year-old Maple Grove student whose face was burned when a classroom science experiment exploded is recovering at a Minneapolis hospital.

Three other students at Maple Grove Junior High School suffered minor injuries in Thursday's accident, were treated at the hospital and released.

Fifteen-year-old Dane Neuberger says the classroom erupted in chaos after the flash fire during science class. Neuberger suffered second-degree burns to his face, neck and right hand.

He says the fire ignited the hair of other students and burned papers around the classroom.

Neuberger tells the Star Tribune at first he was in shock, but as he waited for the ambulance unbearable pain took over and it felt like he didn't have lips. School officials say the explosion occurred when the teacher was working with flammable gas and a match.

Leave a Comment

Current Weather

For Central Minnesota

Temp: 72°F (22°C)

Dewpoint: 42

Wind: 10 SW

Weather: Clear

Full Forecast | Live Radar

Featured Videos