Student dies from fire injuries

Student dies from fire injuries Click to Enlarge Photo:

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:11 am

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A college student pulled from a house fire in North Dakota by a roommate has died at a Minneapolis hospital.

The parents of Matthew Heisler, of Lakeville, say their 21-year-old son died Tuesday at Hennepin County Medical Center. Authorities in Grand Forks, N.D., say the fire Sunday in an off-campus house at the University of North Dakota was accidental, caused by unattended food left cooking on a stove.

Officials say roommate Ryan Nelson came home to a smoke-filled house, pulled Heisler out and performed CPR. The 21-year-old roommate was treated at the hospital for smoke inhalation and released.

Jared and Cheryl Heisler say that their son's organs have been donated in accordance with his wishes. Heisler was a graduate of Lakeville North High School.

Posted By

's Profile

Leave a Comment

Current Weather

For Central Minnesota

Temp: 74°F (23°C)

Dewpoint: 64

Wind: 15 SE

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Full Forecast | Live Radar

Featured Videos